And now for something completely different … I thought it would be fun to make gummy bears with the kids this Easter, instead of the usual pastel-frosted cupcakes. They’re totally easy to make, and there are literally three ingredients involved: fruit juice, honey and plain gelatin. You’ll also need the gummy molds (I got mine on Amazon for $10).
We used grape juice, apple juice and pink lemonade, and the gummies came out great. My adapted recipe and instructions below.
Homemade Gummy Bears
- 1 cup fruit juice (don’t use pineapple, mango or papaya juice, which break down the gelatin)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons (6 packets) Knox unflavored gelatin
1. Heat the juice in a saucepan over low heat until hot but not boiling.
2. Whisk in the honey and gelatin, one tablespoon at a time, until completely dissolved. If a bubbly froth forms on the surface of the liquid, skim it off and discard. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes.
3. Using a dropper, transfer the liquid to your gummy bear molds.
4. Refrigerate the molds for 4 hours, then pop each bear out in one quick motion (don’t pull them out slowly).
To store, place the bears in an air-tight container and refrigerate.