One of the best parts of being a parent is being able to enjoy the holidays with your kids. Everything is exciting and magical again through their eyes, and thankfully there’s always so much to see and do around Westchester in December. Here’s a few of our favorite things.
1. Mail a letter to Santa at special mailboxes set up all over Westchester.
2. Pick out the perfect Fraser fir at a local tree farm and chop it down yourself.
3. Hop aboard a Christmas train for an adventure your kids won’t soon forget.
4. Or watch someone else hop aboard a Christmas train. The Maritime Museum in nearby Norwalk, CT, is hosting morning-time Polar Express pajama parties the next two weekends.
5. Enjoy freshly made latkes at these local eateries. Don’t forget the applesauce — yum!
7. Catch special holiday episodes of Bob the Builder, Nature Cat, Peg + Cat and Thomas and Friends on the big screen at the Alamo Drafthouse theater in Yonkers on Dec. 10. Tickets are only $1 to $3!
8. Shop for your loved ones while supporting a local toy store.
9. Participate in a holiday sing-along while enjoying high tea (hot chocolate with marshmallows for the little ones!) at Caramoor in Katonah through Dec. 16.
10. Go on a scavenger hunt through the winter wonderland-themed display at Legoland.
11. Pile in the car with thermoses of hot chocolate and take our Christmas lights driving tour.
12. Have your kids pick out brand new toys to donate to the children staying at Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital in Valhalla over the holidays, or to children in need through Toys for Tots, with drop-off locations all over Westchester.
13. Make a gingerbread house with the creator of the world’s largest gingerbread village, at the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum this Wednesday, Dec. 7.
14. Fill your home with holiday cheer with these stylish decorating ideas.
15. Spend a day at Lasdon Park in Katonah, where you can visit with Santa, check out the train show, listen to holiday stories, and go on an evening wagon ride through the festively lit woods.
16. Treat your kids to the best hot cocoa in town.
17. Sing along with the Laurie Berkner Band when they come to Tarrytown Music Hall on Dec. 17 for a holiday celebration concert.
18. Make the perfect Christmas morning breakfast. Here’s a recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls that your kids will feel nostalgic for when they’re all grown up.
19. Lace up your skates and go for a spin at these Westchester ice rinks.
20. Create seasonal art projects like snowflake candles and pine cone dioramas at Wave Hill.
21. Decorate ugly sweater cookies with Trader Joe’s fun new kit. Less messy and more amusing than any gingerbread house kit.
22. Visit the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx for the ultimate holiday train show.
23. Check out what’s becoming the must-do event every holiday season: Winter Wonderland at Kensico Dam. Included with admission are a visit with Santa, outdoor ice skating, hay rides, a musical light show and the Hanneford Holiday Circus (new this year!).
24. Celebrate Hanukkah with music, latkes and donuts at Menorah lightings in the Rivertowns, Dec. 26-29.
25. Ring in the New Year early with your kids. Staying up till midnight not required!